In this edition of The Irari Report, Ira Winkler and Araceli Treu Gomes interview Kurt Stammberger of Norse Corporation about both what has come to be know as the Dark Web and Threat Intelligence. This is among the most comprehensive discussions of threat intelligence available to practitioners.
With regard to the Dark Web, we learn how it came about with the help of US intelligence agencies, the difference between the Dark Web and the Deep Web, the initial roles to support dissidents, how the dark side developed, legitimate uses, and how threat intelligence can infiltrate the Dark Web to improve intelligence programs.
The discussion of threat intelligence includes the application of threat intelligence in a corporate environment, different forms of threat intelligence, how different vendors are distinguished, how organizations that cannot afford commercial services can benefit from threat intelligence, among other topics.
There is also a thorough discussion of cybersecurity insurance.
Specific topics discussed are:
- How is the Dark Web defined? The difference between the Dark Web and the Deep Web (1:25)
- Differentiating generally unindexed materials and true Dark Web content (3:20)
- How does the Dark Web feed into intelligence and what is intelligence and applying that feed source (5:30)
- The process to infiltrate the Dark Webs (8:00)
- Legitimate uses of the Dark Web, its origins, and why it’s difficult to infiltrate (12:16)
- Was the Dark Web designed too securely by the US government for them to infiltrate (14:25)
- What should organizations want from a threat intelligence service and how to distinguish the different services available (16:35)
- What are the most impactful intelligence sources organizations should look for (22:05)
- How to practically apply threat intelligence in an organization to maximize ROI for other security investments (25:40)
- Roadmap to operationalize threat intelligence (30:02)
- Potential sources of threat intelligence without engaging a commercial service (34:00)
- How threat intelligence impacts cyberinsurance and risk management processes (37:54)
- Visualization of current, ongoing attacks (44:02)
Ira Winkler and Araceli Treu Gomes can be contacted through their website at www.irarireport.com.