Security Measures for Mini-Storage Devices
For employees who need a USB drive, look into drives with built-in encryption
By Daintry Duffy
August 01, 2005 — CSO —
- For employees who need a USB drive, look into drives with built-in encryption.
- Disable USB ports and take administrative privileges away from the user.
- Make acceptable-use policies general enough to include emerging technologies. They should focus on the unacceptable behaviors rather than the kind of device that is used.
- Ensure that your security team members track new portable storage devices so that they can recognize unapproved devices.
- Educate employees about what devices are forbidden and why.
Read more about data protection in CSOonline's Data Protection section.
Other stories by Daintry Duffy