Measures that can help departing employees and also lower the temptation to abscond with company property or data:
- Offer staff an hour a day to search for jobs while still employed.
- Give them a used computer with Internet access that they can take with them to help in their job search.
- Offer to print business cards for the employee that include their home phone number.
- Pay for access to a job site.
- Pay for Cobra insurance for three or four months.
- Have your corporate recruiters, HR or an outplacement firm assist in looking for work for laid-off employees.
Also see the indepth companion article Security's Role in Handling Layoffs.